Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Books to Read in 2014

Well, I've been doing a lot of reading, but honestly, it's been a long season of reading books that Charlotte Mason would call "twaddle." I'm able to occasionally listen to a remarkable talk show called "The State of Things," where they periodically host authors to talk about their works. These shows often leave me thinking "I'd Like to Read That."  Since I'd like to read differently in 2014,  I've begun to compile a reading list, much of which comes from those radio shows.

The beginning of my reading list:

Guests on Earth by Lee Smith - a fictional account of life in a real mental home in NC, including tales of Zelda Fitzgerald, wife of F. Scott.

Chasing Chaos by Jessica Alexander - Ms. Alexander's account of her decade working around the world providing humanitarian aid.

Strangers at My Door: An Experiment in Radical Hospitality by Jonathan Wilson Hartgrove - the true story of a man who opens his home to the needy.

Gap Creek  and The Road from Gap Creek by Robert Morgan - novels about life in the Appalachia at the turn of the 19th century.

Walking with Moonshine My Life in Stories by Lucy Daniels - This award winning author shares some of the stories that make up her life.

The Tilted World by Tom Franklin & Beth Ann Fennelly - novel set at the time of the Great Flood of the Mississippi.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain - how introverts are undervalued in today's culture.

Expanding Architecture: Design as Activism by Bryan Bell, et. al. - how design can be carried out for the service of the greater good.

Sidetracked Home Executives by Pam Young and Peggy Jones - yes, I need help in this area, badly!

At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson - I think the title says it all. I'm interested because I'm nosy like that.

You Can Draw in 30 Days by Mark Kistler - Mark's book for grown ups - my son wants me to work through this one.

Renovation of the Heart by Dallas Willard - recommended to me by a mentor, maybe I'll be able to get around to reading it this year.

The Rise of the Creative Class by Richard Florida - exploring the global impact of the creative class.

Happy City: Transforming our Lives through Urban Design by Charles Montgomery - the intersection of urban design and the "new science of happiness"

The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains by Nicolas Carr - sounds interesting

What do you plan to read in 2014?









No comments: