Tuesday, December 20, 2011

52 Books in 52 Weeks: Books 25 through 76

This year I fell down on the blogging about my goal to read 52 books in 52 weeks. However, I did reach the goal! I'm putting up a list of the books I read and if I remember anything about them, I will write a short comment. Here goes:

Book 25: The Amish Midwife by Mindy Starns Clark and Leslie Gould - another story about a young woman returning to her Amish roots. Twaddle.

Book 26: Daughter of Joy by Kathleen Morgan - free Kindle book. I don't remember it.

Book 27: Hearts Afire by Marta Perry - one of a series of books about the Flanigan family. An enjoyable, light read.

Book 28: Hero Dad by Mara Perry - another in the series of books about the Flanigan  family. Like Hearts Afire, this is an enjoyable, light read.

Book 29:  Her Only Hero by Marta Perry - Yup, another Flanigan family story. Same review as the others.

Book 30: The Doctor's Blessing by Patricia Davids - Another story about the Amish. This one is about a nurse midwife.

Book 31: Restless Heart by Marta Perry - Kindle freebie; Amish country.

Book 32: Unlikely Hero by Marta Perry - A Flanigan family story. Same review.

Book 33: Hero in Her Heart by Marta Perry - You guessed it, the Flanigan family.

Book 34: Season of Secrets by Marta Perry - I've no idea what this is about, but it is not about the Flanigan family.

Book 35: Twin Targets by Marta Perry - This is a really good, suspenseful novel.

Book 36: A Soldiers Heart by Marta Perry - The Flanagan's again!

Book 37: Think Twice by Lisa Scottoline - Good suspense.

Books 38-47: The Women's Murder Club Novels, a series by James Patterson. I started this series because I realized after I purchased 10th Anniversary that it is a series. So that I didn't begin at the end, I went back to the first book and read them in  order. The books are set around a group of women from various careers who come together to solve mysteries. At least one person in the group has a connection to each case, either by being an attorney, a reporter covering the story, a detective, etc. Some of the books were better than the others, as is true with any series. Because I read them one consecutively without any breaks, the characters were very predictable, as were some of the plot lines, by the time I finished. I don't know if I would have thought the same way if I had read them as they were published. In order, The Women's Murder Club Novels are:
Book 38: 1st to Die
Book 39: 2nd Chance
Book 40: 3rd Degree
Book 41: 4th of July
Book 42: The 5th Horseman
Book 43: The 6th Target
Book 44: 7th Heaven
Book 45: The 8th Confession
Book 46: The 9th Judgement
Book 47: 10th Anniversary

Book 48: Moment of Truth by Lisa Scottoline - Pretty good courtroom drama.

Book 49: Miss Julia Renews her Vows by Ann B. Ross - Another excellent Miss Julia novel!

Book 50: Miss Julia Rocks the Cradle by Ann B. Ross - Yet another one!

Book 51: The Eight Foot Woman by Matthew Ducker - I don't remember this one, but it's on my list of books I read this year, so it counts!

Book 52: Still Missing by Chevy Stevens - Excellent book! This story is about a realtor who is kidnapped and held hostage for a year. Ms. Stevens has woven a suspenseful tale, told from the perspective of the kidnapping victim as she undergoes psychotherapy in an effort to deal with the events that took place. I highly recommend this book!

Well, that covers the 52 Books in 52 Weeks, but I read so much more that I am going to continue my list.

Book 53: Half a Life by Darin Strauss - Mr. Strauss relates the journey of his life as it is overshadowed by the fact that he was one of the drivers in a car accident in which a classmate died.

Book 54: Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore - This book is a memoir, but it is not memorable all these weeks later. Sorry, I don't know what to tell you about this one!

Book 55: Elisha's Bones by Don Hoesel - Very good adventure story featuring Jack Hawthorne, an antiquities professor, who is searching for Elisha's bones. This search spans the globe and involves some very interesting characters and plot twists, as well as a spiritual journey.

Book 56: Final Appeal by Lisa Scottoline - Courtroom drama involving a death penalty case. I don't remember this one.

Book 57: Everywhere That Mary Went by Lisa Scottoline - Story of a lawyer who is being stalked. I don't remember this one, either.

Book 58: Legal Tender by Lisa Scottoline - most of this author's books were quite the deal from Kindle this year. Another lawyer story that I don't remember.

Book 59: The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly - I have no clue whatsoever what this book is about. Given the title, probably a lawyer.

Book 60: Waking Up in Dixie by Haywood Smith - A funny book about a man who undergoes a change of heart and personality following a stroke.

Book 61: Leaving Carolina by Tamara Leigh - Southern Discomfort series, book 1. Enjoyable story of a southern family, with each book in the series telling the story of a different person within the Pickwick family and their circle of friends.

Book 62: Restless in Carolina by Tamara Leigh - One book in the series, Southern Discomfort. Very enjoyable.

Book 63: Faking Grace by Tamara Leigh - Another book in the Southern Discomfort series. 

Book 64: The Last Girls by Lee Smith - This is a novel centered around the reunion of college suite mates as they travel down the Mississippi River. It moves pretty slowly in some places & I don't remember all of the details, however I do remember feeling relieved when it was over.

Book 65: Between Expectations Lessons from a Pediatric Residency  by Meghan Weir - this is a well written memoir that brings a personal and mature reflection of what it is like to be a pediatric resident at one of the top hospitals in the nation.

Book 66: Unschooling Rules: 55 Ways to Unlearn What We Know About Schools and Rediscover Education by Clark Aldrich - I thought this book was about the homeschool style known as unschooling, but it isn't.

Book 67: The Litigators by John Grisham - This book details the story of a small "boutique" law firm that is trying to make it big. It is serious and funny all at the same time. Classic Grisham quality.

Book 68: Hard Press'd by Linda Rae Blair - This was another Kindle freebie. I remember it being a pretty good, lightweight detective book.

Book 69: All I Want for Christmas is You by Lisa Mondello - Amazon freebie. Pretty good twaddle, an enjoyable, fluffy Christmas story.

Book 70: The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks - Excellent! This book reads very quickly, but it is one that I wish had lasted longer.

Book 71: The Bluejay Shaman by Lise McClendon - Weird. I don't recommend it.

Book72: Nowhere Carolina by Tamara Leigh - another book in the Southern Discomfort series. I have listed these books in the order that I read them, which is the order in which I came across them. I do think that after you read the first one, the order doesn't matter as they tell different aspects of the same story. Very nice, gentle books for escape reading.

Book 73: The Christmas Wedding by James Patterson - Weird story, fun read. This is the story of a mother who asks her children to come home for Christmas and her wedding. The groom is a mystery, as the bride has received proposals from multiple men. Even the groom doesn't know...

Book 74: 1225 Christmas Tree Lane by Debbie Macomber - A book about a Christmas reconciliation. Nice, gentle read for the season.

Book 75: Already Gone by John Rector - This is a suspenseful mystery novel about a college professor who has to deal with how his past affects his present.

Book76: The Perfect Christmas by Debbie Macomber - A Christmas love story. Perfect bed time reading for this holiday week.


Although  this Christmas week is a busy one, I am still reading. Who knows, I may have one more book to write about before the end of the week!

Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments: