Friday, September 10, 2010

52 Books in 52 Weeks - Book 33: Olive Kitteridge

I enjoyed this book earlier this summer, but when I caught sight of it last week, I could not recall what it was about, so I read it again. I think that reflects more on the state of my mind after a busy season, not on the work of the author, Elizabeth Strout! Ms. Strout brings us interesting tales of the residents of the small town of Crosby, Maine, with whom the title character interacts over the course of several years. While doing this, the author shows us the complexity of life through the events that happen to the various residents. She also shows us how we are all capable of change, and indeed, should expect to change as we grow older and invest in the lives of those around us. Adult themes such as adultery are dealt with, although not in a detailed way, so be sure your reader is mature enough to reason through these situations.

No comments: