Thursday, February 25, 2010

52 Books in 52 Weeks - Week 8: Boundaries with Teens


I'm still getting caught up on writing my reviews and this is one review I think I can keep short. Several years ago I read the notable book Boundaries by Henry Cloud and John Townsend. It changed my life. Suddenly my relationships made sense to me - the good, the bad and the ugly. I have had Boundaries With Teens on my nightstand for months now. Every time I tried to read it, I feel asleep. Sometimes that's the purpose of the book on the nightstand, but in this case, I  wondered why, as I am embracing life with a newly minted teen. A couple of weeks ago we had a sick kitty who needed to be tube fed (a long process) and I picked this book up while I was feeding the kitty. I really had to force myself to read it and the whole time I was reading it, I kept thinking "Isn't this obvious?" and "People think like that. Really?" It wasn't until after I finished it that I caught on. My reading and application of the relational principles in the book Boundaries is now an ingrained part of my life. So much so, that I no longer relate to the boundary issues brought forth in Boundaries with Teens. Additionally, the road of being the parent of a teen is new to me, perhaps I will relate more to the issues brought up in the book as I progress down that road. So I will end with this - I really don't know if this is a good book, but I will be keeping it around for a little while.

No comments: