Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Getting Ready for Another Year

I have started earnestly preparing for the next school year. So far this week, I have rearranged the school/dining room to accommodate another shelving unit. The new one holds those little supplies that need to be kept together. It has nine baskets. So far I have designated baskets for: games, office supplies, cd/dvd, art course supplies and science lab supplies. I have four more baskets to fill. I'm not rusing it, as I am SURE that by the time school starts I will have figured out how to make use of them!

Last night I began my lesson planning by setting up my school year in Homeschool Tracker Plus. I was also able to enter my grammar lesson plans for the first ten weeks of the fall.

Lesson planning gets harder from here. I have several new curricula to use this year, so I have a lot to figure out. My last books should arrive today, so I'll be spending some time over the next few weeks deciding how best to design my lesson plans.

Our finalized (and I use that word a bit loosely) school plans for this year are:

Bible: continue reading the Bible through; Wise Up: Wisdom in Proverbs
History/Literature/Writing: History Odyssey Early Modern Times, Level Two
Language Arts: Analytical Grammar, Vocabulary from the Classical Roots and writing assignments from History and Science.
Math: Chalkdust Prealgebra
Science/Writing: Science Explorer Life Science with the Core Science MS-1 and Genetics and DNA lab kits from Thames & Kosmos.
Fine Arts: continue private guitar lessons; Artistic Pursuits, Middle School Book 1

We will also dabble in logic if we have time and will pick up a couple of electives at our homeschool co-op.

I'm hopeful that we will have a great 7th grade year!

No comments: