Thursday, February 4, 2010

52 Books in 52 Weeks - Week 3: Where is God?

While I have been keeping up with my reading, due to some family circumstances I have fallen behind on writng my reviews. I hope to get caught up by the end of this week.

I had the pleasure of reading Where is God? by Dr. John Townsend recently. Dr. Townsend is co-author of the now classic book Boundaries, together w/Henry Cloud. Published by Thomas Nelson, his newest book is written in a conversational and comforting manner.  After establishing the legitimacy of the question "Where is God?" Dr. Townsend gets to the heart of the question - what is it that we are really asking? He proposes three questions that are questions people are truly asking when they say "Where is God?"
  • Are you powerful enough to fix this situation? I am in over my head and I need to know you can handle this.
  • Where are you? I can't experience your presence or heart right now -what is going on? 
  • The question that isn't a question but a protest, a statement of how badly they hate what is going on. (pp. 1-7).
Dr. Townsend does an excellent job stressing the relational aspect of Christianity and how embracing that aspect can help you when you find yourself asking this all important question. Readers should be aware, however, that this book is not an apologetic work in the sense that it will give you answers to ponder then recite the next time you hear someone ask the question put forth in the title. Instead, it is an apologetic that explains the nature of God and invites the reader to engage God as they seek peace in their lives and then challenges them to extend that peace to others.

*Note: This book was provided to me at no cost as part of the Thomas Nelson Publishers Book Review Bloggers program. I am not required to provide a positive review, only an honest one. The viewpoints expressed in all of my reviews are my own.

No comments: