Monday, July 13, 2009

The Elusive Science Fair Project

For the past three years, I have thought "I should have him do a science fair project this year." Then I don't think about it again until I find that the science fair deadline is only two weeks away - not enough time to do a quality grade appropriate project. This year, I hope things will be different. During the first week of school, I am going to have my son visit the Science Buddies web site. This site has many great features, including a Topic Selection Wizard. While using the wizard, the student is asked a series of questions about their interests and then their answers are used to create a second set of questions tailored to them. After the second set of questions is complete, a list of suggested science projects is generated. It is amazing to see the variety and the rigor of the suggested projects. This tool can be used for students of any age.

Science Buddies also offers a Science Fair Project Guide, which covers these topics: Getting Started; Doing Background Research; Constructing a Hypothesis; Testing Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment; Analyzing Your Data and Drawing a Conclusion; Communicating Your Results.

A plethora of additional resources are listed as well as information on mentors, research and the different scientific fields.

No comments: