Monday, February 22, 2016

Reading Challenge Book 5: North of Here by Laurel Saville

This story is about a search for "self." Miranda, the main character, must try to discover who she is after tragedy visits her life in spades. While some parts of the story are compelling, others make me less sympathetic for Miranda's plight. That is, until I realized that the story is really one of a search for rescue, for redemption. Then, I cheered her on in her efforts. The interplay between the main characters reflects the fickle character of the human heart when it is not centered on God. In essence, though, the story is just how far one can get away from Truth while looking at man in a search for purpose. Quite frankly, I do not recommend this book. Primarily, It is a story without hope, quite unlike the hope that is within us through faith in Christ. I am reminde of the words of God for Israel, through the prophet Jeremiah:
Yes, this is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: "Do not let the prophets and diviners among you deceive you. Do not listen to the dreams you encourage them to have. They are prophesying lies to you in my name. I have not sent them," declares the LORD... Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity. Jeremiah: 29:8-9, 12-14 


No comments: